st: RE: funny problem..

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: funny problem..
Date   Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:34:02 -0000

Ganesh, Saravana

> I am faced with a funny problem. I have dataset which
> doesn't has any
> string variable more than 80. I know this b'cos I can open it and I
> checked it in my office computer. When I try to open the
> same dataset in
> my laptop it gives an error message r(459) - data contains strings
> longer than 80 characters. May be its something silly that
> I am doing..
> any suggestion will be appreciated...

My suggestion is this.

Contact tech-support at Stata Corp with the
following information:

1. Specify the version(s) of Stata you are using
on both machines. Give whatever is produced by
typing -about- in each case.

2. Specify how the dataset is read into Stata.

3. Give the results of -describe- on this dataset
and the office copy of Stata.

tech support may well want more information.