st: RE: -xtivreg, fe- and -cluster- option

From   "Steven Stillman (LMPG)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -xtivreg, fe- and -cluster- option
Date   Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:44:03 +1300

Ernesto,  you're approach is basically correct but you are adding a few
unnecessary steps.  All you need to do is mean difference the data (no need
to add back in the overall mean), i.e. for each industry subtract off the
mean of all y, x, and z (instruments) variables.  A convenient way to do
this is using the command xtdata, fe.  You can then run IV with a cluster
adjustment using the user-written command ivreg2 (of which I am a
co-author).  As you mention, the only extra step is to correct the SEs for
the i = # firms degrees of freedom lost in step 1.  However, given that IV
only has large sample properties it is arguable whether this adjustment
needs to be done at all.

Steve

PS  Our goal is to produce an xtivreg2 in the near future to accomplish
exactly what you are trying to do.

The information contained in this document is intended only for the
 addressee and is not necessarily the views nor the official
communication of the Department of Labour.  All final/official papers
which are sent from the Department will be sent by non-electronic
means, on appropriate letterhead, signed by authorised personnel.