st: adjust after poisson

From   "Timothy J. Wade" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: adjust after poisson
Date   Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:25:45 -0800

Sorry if this is a duplicate posting ( I tried to post from the yahoo website but was unsure of my success):

I'm trying to obtain adjusted rates by month after the following poisson regression:

xi: poisson count i.monthnum cycle, exposure(pyear)

when I type: . adjust cycle, by(monthnum) exp

I get the following error:
offset (ln(pyear)) not constant within by()

however, when I use type the same adjust command with the "nooffset" option. I get returned results that look approximately correct (see below).

My questions are: are the rates given after adjust with the nooffset option the correct adjusted rates? Also, why do I need to specify the nooffset option in adjust?
Thanks very much in advance!

(stata 7.0/Windows)

. adjust cycle, by(month) exp nooffset
----------------------