st: Re: hausman test

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: hausman test
Date   Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:57:14 +0000 (GMT)

Hi everybody.  It turned out that the Dawn's problem -- failure to get a positive Hausman test
statistic for endogeneity even when using the -sigmamore- option -- resulted from the fact that she
was estimating by IV with the -robust- option.

The -sigmamore- option of the -hausman- command is incompatible with heteroskdastic-robust
estimation because, basically, there is no single "sigma" when errors are heteroskedastic.

-hausman- without -sigmamore- will be asymptotically valid in conjunction with the robust
covariance estimator, but then you can encounter the negative test statistic problem.

The easiest way to guarantee a positive Hausman test statistic for endogeneity is to estimate the
model with ivreg2 (downloadable from ssc-ideas).  Estimate the efficient model using ivreg2, and
put the variables to test for endogeneity in the -orthog- option.  This will guarantee a positive
test statistic, even with robust covariance estimators.  (It's an application of a result described
in Hayashi (2002), Econometrics, p. 220.  Or see our (Baum-Schaffer-Stillman) working paper,
http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/WP545.pdf.)

--Mark

> *************************************
> Columbia University
> Political Science Department
> 420 W. 118th Street, 7th Flr.
> New York, NY 10027
> E-Mail: [email protected]

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.