st: RE: svytotal output in fixed format

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: svytotal output in fixed format
Date   Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:59:24 +0000

At Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:07:02 -0600, Suzanne Graden wrote:

Good day.

In my analysis using svy commands (svytotal), I need estimates and
confidence intervals with fixed format precision instead of the general
format which results in the estimates and ci displayed in scientific
notation.

I have been able to display the point estimate using "matrix list
e(est),
format()" but I need help to obtain the upper and lower confidence
limits.
When I use "estimates list" the confidence limits do not seem to be
stored.
Is this correct or am I overlooking something? I tried to calculate the
confidence limits by first using the "svmat" command to change the
e(V_ds)
to a variable and then formatted the variable using format(), but the
result was still displayed in scientific notation. What is the best way
obtain the confidence limits displayed in fixed format when using svy
commands that do not allow the user to adjust the table cell size?
I personally would use the -parmest- package (type -ssc describe parmest- to find out more). This creates an output data set with 1 obs per estimated parameter, and data on estimates, confidence limits, P-values, and loads of other parameter attributes if the user wants them. The user can then -list- the CIs with any format desired, or output them to spreadsheets in any format desired using -outsheet-. Or s/he can do all kinds of other things, like confidence interval plots for immediate impact in a presentation.

My tutorial on the -parmest- package, entitled "Creating plots and tables of estimation results using parmest and friends", can be downloaded from the UK 2002 Stata User Meeting site at http://ideas.repec.org/s/boc/usug02.html.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/