st: Re: basic question about varlist

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   st: Re: basic question about varlist
Date   Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:30:32 +0000

At 15:00 05/11/02 -0500, Radu Ban wrote:
thanks a lot for the prompt replies. however, i think i didn't explain my
problem accurately.

i'll start from the end result perhaps it makes more sense this way. please
bear with me.
in the end, i would like to have a matrix (to be exported in excel) with

varname    coeff1    stderr1    coeff2    stderr2....

the variables under varname come from the varlist `outcomes' i described in
the previous email (i.e. local outcomes " an_abbreviated_varlist ").
to obtain the above mentioned matrix, i'm thinking of implementing the
following loop:

foreach var of varlist `outcomes' {
    reg `var' x1 x2...
    now somehow generate a scalar indexed by the position of `var' in
varlist (i.e. scalar1         for first variable, scalar2 for second), equal
to the coefficient of x1
    do the same for the stderror of x1, coeff of x2, and so on

after the loop is done take these scalars and put them into the above
mentioned matrix. the part i don't know how to do is to generate those
If you want to export your proposed matrix to Excel, then the best way might be to create this matrix as a Stata data set, with 1 observation per model and variables -varname-, -coeff1-, -stderr1- etc., and then to export it to an Excel-compatible generic text spreadsheet using -outsheet-.

There is more than one way to create such a Stata data set. However, I personally would first use my packages -parmest- and -dsconcat- to create a data set with 1 obs for each parameter of each of the models, and data on the estimates, standard errors, confidence intervals, P-values, and other results. I would then use official Stata's -reshape- command to reshape this data set into a wider data set, with one observation per model rather than one observation per parameter per model.

To find out more about the use of -parmest- and -dsconcat-, Radu might like to look at my presentation "Creating plots and tables of estimation results using parmest and friends", downloadable from the Stata User Meetings website at

I hope this helps.

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

* For searches and help try: