st: RE: A simple but really hard question

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: A simple but really hard question
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:31:21 -0000

Li, Wenjun
> I am trying to find the name of quintiles.  When the
> population was divided
> into four groups according to its distribution, we call
> them quartiles; when
> divided into equally eight groups, we call them octiles;
> when divided into
> 16 groups, what is the name for these quantiles?

"quantiles" is the general name.

"quintiles" would be associated with a division
into 5 groups.

All the words I have heard of for other particular
cases use Latin roots. So what would it be?

The Latin for 16 was "sedecim", so I suppose
it would be "sedeciles".

However, it wouldn't surprise me -- should you adopt this
term -- if you were the first person ever to use it, and
whenever you used it, you would have to explain it
to almost everyone. So, I would stick with quantiles
based on division into 16 groups of equal frequency,
wordier but serviceable.