st: Re: help limits

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: help limits
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:34:12 -0500

--On Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:33 -0500 Scott wrote:

I'm attempting to read in some Census data with a fixed format infile
dictionary.  The file has a record length of 12000.  I either get an error
telling me that the record is too long, or if I define lrecl specifically
a message that 12000 isn't allowed.  (The limit appears to be something
like 7,999?)  Anyway, I can't find any documentation on record length
limits or limits to the allowed number for lrecl in the infile statement.
Any ideas? Is there a workaround, or correction?
help limits shows these. There is no problem in reading lines up to 20K bytes with Unix Stata.

infile
record length without dictionary none none
record length with a dictionary
Stata for Windows and Macintosh 7,998 7,998
Stata for Unix 19,998 19,998

infix record length
Stata for Windows 7,998 7,998
Stata for Unix 19,998 19,998