st: RE: Large databases, ICD-9 codes, and labels

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Large databases, ICD-9 codes, and labels
Date   Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:17:41 +0100

Desmond Brown
> For Richard Hoskins:
> Youprobably know that Stata's icd9 commands include
> icd9 gen newvar = varname, desc
> where varname is a variable containing icd9 codes. This
> creates a new
> variable with the descriptions of the short description of the icd9
> code. I don't know if this would give you what you need,
> but it works
> great for getting a preliminary look at the diagnoses or procedures
> represented in a subset of the data.

The previous thread started by Richard on Wednesday provoked
various similar responses on -icd9-, so can we take that
as read please?