Re: st: Dividing a variable

From   Mehmet Beceren <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dividing a variable
Date   Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:27:15 -0400

Glenn,

I can suggest a mechanical way using Excel along with Stata... It may look laborious but it should not take long....

1. Convert (or copy) your data to Excel and Save it as Text file.
2. Open the text file in excel by using Delimited option, and choose " ; " and "space" as delimiters
3. If you do it right, you should have the individual names and the patent numbers separated in different columns
4. assign variable names as person1, person2...personN for each separated name

Now convert (or copy) your data back to Stata

You can use reshape (long) command to accumulate each person* in one column

OR

Without going back to Stata, copy and paste each person* and corresponding patent number into different file (or worksheets) and then append them one below the other one... this should not take long if you do not have too many names corresponding to the same patent...
you can convert the appended data ( 2 columns: Name -- Patent No ) back to Stata, and sort it however you like...

hope this was helpful

--Mehmet