st: multithreading in Stata?

Subject   st: multithreading in Stata?
Date   Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

(This is probably a more technical question to support@, but it might be
of general interest, too.) Can Stata be tuned for multiprocessor /
multithread environment? My interest is inspired by an internal discussion
inside my department about the use of Beowulf cluster that the department
has access to. As long as Stata is an interpretative environment, I
suppose there is rather little one could do to multithread it. Am I
bluntly mistaken?

A clear example of where it would be beneficial is the Monte Carlo /
bootstrap situations. As long as both are implemented as ado files rather
than internal commands, there would be no benefits from trying to run it
in a multiprocessor environment, I am afraid :(.

 ---                                    Stas Kolenikov
 --       Ph.D. student in Statistics at UNC-Chapel Hill
 - http://www.komkon.org/~tacik/  -- [email protected]

* This e-mail and all attachments to it are not intended to provide any
* reasonable point of view and was transmitted to you in error. It
* should be immediately deleted by all recepients unless they really
* enjoy communicating with the author :). Other restrictions apply.