st: While loop and input command

Subject   st: While loop and input command
Date   Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:43:17 +0100

I am having a problem running a do file that contains a while loop.  Within
the while loop, I have the following input commands:

input str16 agegroup

When I run the do-file I get the r(1) break message immediately after this
command.  However, when I remove the above command the do-file runs fine.
Has anybody encountered similar problems, and is there any way of getting
round this.
Thank you for your time,

Christopher D Fergusson