Re: st: SPSS to STATA

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
To   "statalist hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SPSS to STATA
Date   Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:06:46 +0100

on 17/10/02 5:21 pm, Landman, Todd at [email protected] wrote:

> I have saved an SPSS file at tab delimited ASCII, used insheet and STATA
> looks like it has read the data, but it only recognises some of the
> variables and thinks that some of my numeric data are strings.  What is the
> best way to do this without stat transfer?

I should mention that Stata has a downloadable application which will
convert SPSS Mac datafiles to Stata datafiles. Though it isn't guaranteed to
work on anything other than Mac datafiles, my experience is that it converts
any SPSS .sav file.

It's a regular little time saver, as my most frequent need for conversion is
SPSS to Stata (SPSS still won't do things like confidence intervals for a
count or proportion!).

Ronan M Conroy ([email protected])
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons