Re: st: RE: GMM Estimation for Panel Data

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "Steven Stillman (LMPG)" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: GMM Estimation for Panel Data
Date   Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:39:24 +0100 (BST)

A quick follow-up to Steve's email.  The choice of whether to first-difference or mean-difference
depends on whether you think the fixed/random effects are endogenous, and whether the transformed
data are serially correlated or not.

If the effects are exogenous, then ivreg2,gmm on mean-deviation data is what you want; if the
effects are endogenous, then you eliminate them by first-differencing and then using ivreg2,gmm.

If, after whatever transformation you've settled on, the error term of the resulting data series is
not serially correlated, you're fine.  If it is serially correlated, then you should use ivreg2,gmm
with the cluster(id) option, where id identifies a firm.  This will give you coefficients that are
efficient in the presence of, and standard errors that are consistent to the presence of, arbitrary
within-cluster correlation, which in your case means consistent to arbitrary serial correlation.

--Mark (another ivreg2 coauthor)

Quoting "Steven Stillman (LMPG)" <[email protected]>:

> Bersant.  You can run ivreg2, gmm on data that has been first-differenced or
> mean-differenced (for fixed effects) to correctly produce iv-gmm results for
> panel data.  As the standard errors in these models are based on large
> sample properties you do not need to correct the standard errors for the
> reduction in degrees of freedom resulting from differencing the data,
> although there is some debate out there to whether a correction should still
> be done.  An extension to ivreg2 (I am a co-author) to handle all panel data
> models is currently in the planning stages but I am not sure how soon it
> will be available.
>
> Steve

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.som.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.