st: Re: Anyone managing to merge DHS datasets using Stata?

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Anyone managing to merge DHS datasets using Stata?
Date   Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:37:59 -0700 (PDT)

Jolene,

The DHS questionnaires will help you identify the data. You can find
the questionnaires in the back of the DHS report for South Africa:

Department of Health (South Africa), Medical Research Council (South
Africa), and ORC Macro. [2002.] South Africa Demographic and Health
Survey 1998. [Pretoria, South Africa: Department of Health.]

I haven't seen the data for South Africa but I have analyzed DHS data
for many other countries. If the South African data comes in the
standard DHS format you can create your own household ID using hv001
(cluster number) and hv002 (household number). In some countries you
also have to include hv024 (region) (this is the case with Indian
data, for example). You can try one of the following:

gen long hhid = hv001*10000 + hv002
gen double hhid = hv024*10000000 + hv001*10000 + hv002

I prefer working with the flat data files, by the way.

Friedrich Huebler