st: Solution to the Hansen test problem

From   David Greenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Solution to the Hansen test problem
Date   Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:14:18 -0400

Thanx to Nick Cox, who managed to solve the problem I was getting with the Hansen test, which gave me a mysterious error message when I tried using it. If your version is working fine, there is no need to do anything. However, if, like me, you get an error message when you use it, the solution is to make three small changes to the ado file.  There are three places in the code where  `___t' clear
appear in the syntax. Early in the code there is the line    quietly {save `___t', replace
Toward the end there are the lines   use `___t', clear       and    quietly use `___t', clear
In each case insert double quotation marks outside the single quotation marks so that one has, for example,
   use "`___t'", clear
 After doing this, the hansen test worked fine for me. If, like me, you have never edited an ado file before, you access it by typing doedit c:\ado\stbplus\h\hansen.ado.  Make the changes, save the file, and then try doing the Hansen test.    - David Greenberg, Sociology Department, New York University.