RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Double -for- loop on one line crashes Stata

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Double -for- loop on one line crashes Stata
Date   Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:05:35 +0100

Roger Newson

> >I think you'll
> >see, if you look at documentation, that it is not encouraged
> >anywhere, even by example.
> A possible counterexample to Nick's proposition can be
> found in the Stata 7
> hardcopy manuals under -[P] if- (Page 121 of the
> Programming manual). This
> contains an in-line phrase
> if age>21{summarize age}
> (without even semicolons). However, in that context, it
> might be argued
> that the manual is not explicitly encouraging people to use
> this construct.
> (For what it's worth, this phrase executes without error in
> the -cancer-
> data shipped with official Stata.)

True. I should not play mathematician
and posit principles which can be overturned
by a single counterexample.

Now that Roger has found that example,
let me echo -- for the benefit of any Statalist
members unable to turn to [P] p.121 -- that
the surrounding discussion makes it clear
that the code in question is almost certainly
not going to be what you want.