st: Can Stata read string variables without stripping blanks?

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   st: Can Stata read string variables without stripping blanks?
Date   Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:23:33 +0100

Hello all

Does Stata have a way of reading string variables in fixed format without stripping leading and trailing blanks? I ask because, if I type

infix line1 1-80 using intext.ado,clear

then I find that the variable -line1- which is created contains the first 80 characters of each line of -intext.ado- minus any leading and trailing blanks. I would like it to contain the first 80 characters of each line of -intext.ado- including leading and trailing blanks (The file -intext.ado- is in fact a Stata program file with indentations.) What I am looking for is a kind of inverse to the -runtogether- option in -outfile- that was provided in response to a thread I started in 2001 re writing program generators in Stata. (Thanks again to the people at StataCorp for responding so promptly).

I realise that there might be a very long-winded solution to this problem using the -file- command to read the file as a binary file byte by byte and to build up the variable -line1- byte by byte using a series of statements of the form

replace line1=line1+`"`curbyte'"' in `i1'

(assuming that the macro -curbyte- contains the most recently read byte and that the macro -i1- contains an observation sequence number). However, I was wondering whether there was a simpler way.

I tried the option of using -file- to read the file line by line as an ASCII file. However, the problem there is that -file- stores each line in a macro. If the line is stored in a macro named -curline-, and the sequence number of the current line of the file is stored in a macro named -i1-, and I type

replace line1=`"`curline'"' in `i1'

then Stata resolves any macro references in the value of -curline-.

I suspect that life would be easier if there was a string function named -local- which delivered the value of a local macro. Then I might type

replace line1=local("curline") in `i1'

and the variable -line1- would then contain the value of the macro -curline- in one observation, without any macro substitutions. However, I can't find any reference to a function like the hypothetical -local-, either in the Stata manuals or in the on-line help.

Best wishes (and thanks in advance for any help)

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

* For searches and help try: