st: log of variables in xtreg

From   "Javier Aparicio" <>
Subject   st: log of variables in xtreg
Date   Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:06:21 -0500

Dear list,

I am running xtreg with time and country effects in a panel with 50 years and 45 countries.  My depvar and two covariates are in constant dollars per capita already.

I am testing some policy indicator variables, and some coefficients switch signs when I take the log of my dollar-valued variables.  What worries me is that the estimates are significant either in the log transform, or without it--but with opposite signs.

Any suggestions of what should I do?

Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at