st: RE: type missmathch

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: type missmathch
Date   Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:56:09 +0100

Ye Xu

> When I want to replace the variables with other contents, I
> always got "type
> missmatch". What's wrong?

If you are getting this _always_, at least within one session, what is
likely is that
you have numeric variables which have been read in as string. And the
most
likely reason for that is working within Windows and reading in from a
spreadsheet
or similar software.

A FAQ on this question will lead you to other information, including
other FAQs.

Stata is reading in my variables as string, whereas they should be
numeric.
What should I do?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/allstring.html

If this is not the answer, you will need to provide more information,
e.g. show the results of a -describe-, and say exactly what you typed.