st: Re:stat transfer

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re:stat transfer
Date   Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:37:02 -0400

--On Saturday, October 5, 2002 2:33 -0400 A. Zaman wrote:

I tried using "stcmd" command from inside
stata to convert a particular table from a Microsoft
SQL 2000 database to stata version 7 data set. Every
time it converts only the first table according to
alphabetical order. I tried using the switch
/ttablename, but I get the same result. It would be
highly appreciated if you could have any suggestion
for
converting a specific table from the SQL database to
stata 7.
Try doing this using the 'st' command outside of Stata (in a command line) and see what you need to say to get it to work. I believe the '/t' switch is for use with MS Access databases, not SQL databases. Stat/Transfer on Windows can access ODBC data sources such as SQL databases (although their website does not specifically mention MS SQL Server, I presume that if it is standard SQL it will work) but one presumably must use the syntax specific to ODBC to do so. Stat/Transfer's web site suggests that this can be done from the command processor (command line interface to st), but it is probably not something that can be done within Roger Newson's 'stcmd' command.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-v/baum.fac.html

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/