st: RE: tabulate

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tabulate
Date   Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:10:01 -0400

In Intercooled Stata, there is a limit for two-way tables of 300 rows
and 20 columns (see "help limits").

So, if you have one variable with more than 20 categories (but fewer
than 301), and another with 20 or fewer, you can tabulate them.  Just be
sure to list the variable with numerous categories first, indicating
that it should form the rows:

	. tabulate manycats fewcats

rather than

	. tabulate fewcats manycats

If you have two variables with more than 20 categories, then you are out
of luck with tabulate.  (You might want to collapse some categories...I
would have a hard time interpreting a cross-tabulation of dimension
greater than 20 X 300 anyway.)

Note to StataCorp:  in the case where someone asks for a table that has
too many values, but which would work if the rows and columns were
reversed, it would be nice if Stata pointed this out, rather than just
saying in red "too many values"

--Nick Winter

 Nicholas Winter, Ph.D.                     P 202.939.5343
 Policy Studies Associates                  F 202.939.5732
 1718 Connecticut Avenue, NW     [email protected]
 Washington, DC 20009-1148           www.policystudies.com