Re: st: about gini

From   "John GIBSON" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: about gini
Date   Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:49:15 +1200

Dear Ye Xu

. ineqdeco, by(district)

and it should give what you want.

<<< "Ye Xu" <> 10/ 3 11:16p >>>

What I want to do is to compute an index of land inequality
at the regional level. Let's call the region a district.
I start out with household (hh) level data  (and each hh has an ID,
for each hh, I know the amount of land owned in acres (this
goes from zero to some large number).
each hh lives in a district (a region) and in my data this
is identified by the ID "iddist".
I want to find inequality in land-distribution within each
I have already checked stata's ado file listthere is a program that
calculates the gini coefficient.
but if I use it direclty on household data I will get
1 gini coeff for the whole of data. I want a different
gini coeff for each district. (ie I want gini (or inequality)