RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit

From   "DL Millimet" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:21:42 -0500

this sounds like simply 2 seperate standard (univariate) heckman selection
problems.

dann

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 1:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit

Erik, thanks for you reply. Here the parameters of interest are the
parameters of the earnings equation. The context is international migration.
z=1 refers to migrants, z=0 refers to non-migrants. What I need is sample
selectivity corrected returns to characteristics in the lnw equation. In the
data I observe lnw for a given individual either for z=1 or z=0, but not for
both (previous message is misleading - sorry ). I.e. for those who migrate I
only observe lnw|z=1 and for non-migrants I only observe lnw|z=0. I want to
predict the earnings of a migrant had that individual not migrated ( and
vice versa for non-migrants). Given returns to characteristics of the same
individual can be different in the host country and in the source country I
want to estimate the model separately for z=1 and z=0, and use the estimated
coefficients for my prediction.