Re: st: RedHat 7.3 and stata

From   Henrik St�vring <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RedHat 7.3 and stata
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:28:48 +0200

Pete Huckelba wrote:
I am not certain why Henrik removed the libncurses.so.4 library, but Stata
will infact run with the libncurses.5 library on RedHat 7.3.

<snip>

Maybe it is due to my incapacities in Linux, but I just did a clean install and update of RedHat 7.3 last week. I did not explicitly remove libncurses.so.4 (but maybe the RedHat update did without my knowledge - ie. the problem I pointed out). I think this is supported by the following:

# rpm --list -q ncurses-5.2-26 | grep libncurses.so.4
# rpm --list -q ncurses-5.2-26 | grep libncurses
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.2

To me this implies that the file libncurses.so.4 is not part of ncurses-5.2-26 package(?) Now it might have worked, as Pete suggested, to just create a symbolic link to libncurses.so, but I do think this is quite beyond what an ordinary user should be asked to do, and I would still consider it a problem for either Stata or RedHat.

Further, I am wondering what the motivation for providing a specific package for backwards compatibility (ncurses4-5.0-5.i386.rpm) could be, if this backwards compatibility was also present in ncurses-5.2-26?

Best,

Henrik

--
Henrik St�vring, M.Sc.

Workplaces:
National Centre for Registerbased Research
Aarhus University
T�singegade 1
8000 �rhus C
Phone: (+45) 8942 6817