st: Path model interpretation

From   "Michael Cha" <[email protected]>
To   "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Path model interpretation
Date   Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:22:01 -0400

Dear listers,

I am writing to get some help regarding the relatioinship among variables.

I have two independent variables (A and B) and a dependent variable (C).

Theoretically, A has a negative effect on C and B has a positive effect on C. Also, A has a negative effect on B.

Without path from A to B, each effects appear to be as expected.

However, if I add a path from A to B which is negative, then the path from A to C becomes positive, which is theoretically assumed to be negative.

How can I understand this?

Any comments will be appreicated.

MCHA.

Tired of all the SPAM in your inbox? Switch to LYCOS MAIL PLUS