st: Re: mlogit constraint

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: mlogit constraint
Date   Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:41:40 -0400

--On Saturday, September 21, 2002 2:33 -0400 Hannah wrote:

cons def 1 (par)earn1=earn2
cons def 2 (par)earn2=earn3
mlogit par edu race earn*, cons (1-2)

However, the response I have received is either 'invalid syntax' or earn*
is  completely 'dropped' from the multinomial logit equation. I am really
hoping  anyone who have been working on 'constraint' issues could share
some their  experiences with me, and better if you could offer some
suggestions.
Invalid syntax it is. There is no form of the constraint command in which parentheses may be used as in cons def 1 (par)earn1=earn2
I believe this should just be
cons def 1 earn1=earn2
and so on. There is a syntax, as indicated in help mlogit, in which [varname] with square brackets may be used in the constraint command. But (varname) is not valid in any context.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-v/baum.fac.html
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/