st: RE: Surveys manipulation

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <[email protected]>
To   "'[email protected] '" <[email protected]>, "'[email protected] '" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Surveys manipulation
Date   Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:10:40 -0400

One way is to figure out the WEIGHTED cut points of the quintiles (1/5*sum
of the weights) and create them yourself.  Or one of the commands allow
aweights, which will give you the correct point estimates, but not the
correct standard errors.

As always with percentile measures, be wary of ties, and consider if you
will need to split weights to get exactly 20% in each group.

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: 9/18/02 7:15 PM
Subject: st: Surveys manipulation

 I am doing some research with a houshold survey, however, I'm facing
the
following problem:
To generate consumption quintiles among the survey population first I
sort the
data according to consumption and then generate five groups. However,
when
weighting the data each group previously generated does not hold anymore
the 20%
of the population. Here comes my question, how can I generate quintiles
in a
survey taking into account sampling weights.
Can anyone help me?
Marcelo