st: RE: geometric mean saved results

From   "Steichen, Thomas" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: geometric mean saved results
Date   Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:13:44 -0400

JL Greig writes:

> I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to do
> anovas, ranksums, regressions, etc. on the geometric
> mean of a continuous variable--just capturing the
> saved results following a means command ofcourse does
> not work, as below with ranksum:
>
> .quietly means fp3
> .local `gmeanfp3' = r(mean_g)
> .ranksum `gmeanfp3' if `1'~=9999, by(`1')
>
> which gives me an error message of "_= invalid name".
>
> Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated.

JL,

I think you need to be clearer about what you intend to accomplish.
Please provide a more explicit description or example of what
you are trying to do.

Beyond that... it is very difficult to perform most statistical
techniques when your variable is a constant (and that is what you
have when you use -means- and a local macro). I'm sure -ranksum-
is blowing out because it does not have a variable to operate on...
`gmeanfp3' is a local macro, not a variable.

Further, `1' may or may not be defined... but we can't tell from
the code you show.

Tom
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.