st: RE: RE: RE: distribution of the kernel density

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: distribution of the kernel density
Date   Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:14:09 -0400

Nick is bang on about the unsuitability (non-suitability? anti-suitability?)
of testing the kernel density for the purposes of making conclusions about
the original variable. After all, the kernel density is a mathematical
construct based on a host of assumptions that determine its form. Clearly,
to suppose that a test of normality on the values of the kernel density
would have much to say substantively on the subject of the normality of the
original variable would be erroneous. But, suppose, as I do, that
Alejandro's reason for testing the kernel density isn't to make conclusions
about the normality of the original variable, but wants to determine how
close the kernel density approaches the normal distribution. Then, wouldn't
he be able to gather some useful information from -qnorm- and -sktest-?

Best,
Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist
Thunder Bay District Health Unit