Re: st: retrun code 130. why constraint so low?

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: retrun code 130. why constraint so low?
Date   Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:54:09 +0000

Iwan Barankay  wrote
> I did some data cleaning and was generating variables.
> Doing so I found out that expressions can not contain more than 66
> dyadic operators (return code 130). This is quite frustrating in large
> data sets when, for example, using replace with many if conditions.
> So to debug one hase to split command lines.
> It's not a real problem, but did anyone else faced this constraint?
> Do you know if there are plans at STATA to relax the constraint?

Did you tried the inlist() function? This function makes complicated
if-conditions very often much shorter and may help you to circumvent your
proplem. For example, instead of typing

gen newvar = 1 if oldvar==1 & oldvar==7 & oldvar==13 & oldvar==15 & oldvar==27

you can type

gen newvar = 1 if inlist(oldvar,1,7,13,15,27)

Also consider the inrange()-function. See -help functions- for more on
inlist() and inrange()

uli