st: loop thru unique values of a variable

From   Matthias Schonlau <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: loop thru unique values of a variable
Date   Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:32:13 -0700

Hi all !

I am trying to loop through all unique values of a variable.

For example if the data set contains 9 observations and the variable of interest is D which takes the values 0 0 0 2 2 2 4 4 4
I would like to loop through the unique values 0 2 4 .

Below is a terrible "fix" which makes the additional assumption that the unique values are evenly spaced. ( I prefer not to make that assumption). It basically extracts the number of unique values from *inspect*, finds the minimum value through *summarize* and then constructs the loop from scratch .

quietly inspect D
local nu=r(N_unique)
quietly sum D
local dmin = r(min)
local last = `nu' * `dmin'

forvalues d= `dmin'(`dmin') `last' {
}

Is there a better way to do that in stata or is that just not what stata was built for ?

Thanks for any suggestions ,

Matt

--
Matt Schonlau