[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]
st: Statalist etiquette
> It's probably against etiquette to ask the same question again
This issue, raised in one current thread, is germane to several
It is addressed in detail in the Statalist FAQ. Please see
1. If you got no answer first time, consider why that was.
Perhaps your question was unclear and needs rewording.
2. Three reposts of the same question, and you are out of
ASCII, not HTML etc.
Another issue which will not go away is the Statalist
request for everyone to use plain ASCII format, not (e.g.)
HTML-enabled text, and for everyone not to use attachments.
I know from bitter experience that it is easy
to goof on this, as when someone's else winmail.dat
gets attached to my replies, like dirt sticking to a shoe.
Also, not everyone has control over their own email
settings, especially in some corporate situations.
However, the injunction against HTML and attachments
is based on very good principles, including
0. Viruses and other nasty things are spread this way.
1. Not everyone's mailer is configured to interpret
2. Many people get Statalist in digest form:
attachments and HTML-enabled text are often
rendered totally unreadable by the digesting
3. Some of the people who are most active in
answering questions on Statalist just will
not read such posts, as a matter of principle.
For these reasons, you make answers to your
questions less likely if you do not follow
the ASCII way.
The Statalist FAQ points to a very
detailed statement at
* For searches and help try: