st: Advice on ranking observations

From   "PAULINE KNIGHT" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Advice on ranking observations
Date   Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:46:07 -0500

I am using stata 5.0, and my manual does not provide the solution to the following problem, and I cannot find it anywhere else. I hope someone will be able to help. I need to estimate this expression urgently

        R i (yij)Rni (yij)

where Ri (yij) is the ranking of the jth member of group i within group i, and Rni (yij) is the ranking that the jth member of group i would  obtain were it ranked in the population of members other than group i.

  I used the 'egen' command with 'rank(exp)' to obtain Ri (yij), but I cannot identify the correct command to obtain the Rni (yij).

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Pauline

* * For searches and help try: * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/