st: Re: Extensions to: Creating variables recording properties of the other members of a group

From   "Marcela Perticara" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Extensions to: Creating variables recording properties of the other members of a group
Date   Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:08:56 -0500

Hello Guillermo,

This code might help. I only tested with the two cases you sent, it might
need some adjutment.
Here I am creating only one vble for the number of kids, but you can easily
rename
the variable to be father-mother specific and you will get two vbles after
you merge
everything.
If your dataset is too big you might want to read the data twice instead of
preserving/restoring.

/*Make datasets for fathers and mothers with their number
of kids*/

use hm.dta, clear /*your dataset*/
foreach var of varlist fatherm motherm {
 preserve
 qui keep if `var'!=.
 sort hhid `var'
 by hhid `var': gen sibl=_N /*here you can make the name father-mother
specific*/
 by hhid `var': keep if _n==1
 keep hhid `var' sibl
 ren `var' member
 sort hhid member
 save `var'.dta, replace
 restore
}

use hm.dta
sort hhid member
merge hhid member using fatherm
drop _merge
sort hhid member
merge hhid member using motherm, update
drop _merge

I didn�t put too much effort in writting it short, you might be able to
shorten it.

Hope this helps!

Marcela

Universidad Alberto Hurtado