st: RE: Subtotals

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Subtotals
Date   Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:28:35 +0100

[email protected]

> I run a do file which creates a table similar to the following
>
> year total age0 ......
> 1991 123   3
> 1991  57    4
> 1991  29    3
>    .      .      .
>    .      .      .
>    .      .      .
> 1991 109    4
> 1992 129    6
> 1992  84     2
>    .      .      .
>    .      .      .
>    .      .      .
> 2000   97    5
>
> I wist to convert this table into another table totalling
> all columns for
> each year i.e.
>
> Year Total Age0
> 1991 1026   23
> 1992 1247   37
> 1993 1067   19
>    .       .       .
>    .       .       .
>    .       .       .
> 2000   957    27

One solution is to -collapse- the data, but that destroys
your data structure. One solution to _that_ is to

. preserve
. collapse ...
. restore

and the help for -collapse- would let you fill in the dots.

A solution I would prefer would be

. table year, c(sum total sum age0)

This does not create the new variables you mentioned.
I guess that you only want those as a means to an
end. If not, use -egen, sum()-.