Re: st: RE: Re: creating composite measures

From   Saifuddin Ahmed <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: creating composite measures
Date   Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:37:53 -0400

Another option is to use Latent Class Analysis (LCA) and
estimate "latent score" as a composite score. LCA may be considered as
a variant of factor analysis with categorical manifest variables. One
problem, however, is that STATA does not have LCA facility. A free
downloadable program, called LEM, is available at:

http://www.kub.nl/faculteiten/fsw/organisatie/departementen/mto/software
2.html

As Nick has pointed out, you have to be careful about masking the
variables (guide by theory; examine first separately to see the
association and effect directions; whether the variables have inverse
association (with outcomes); etc). Another point, LEM can not handle
missing values.

In recent days, principal component analysis has stirred to generate
composite index (e.g., creating wealth index from household items).
Although one assumption for pc/factor analysis is that the manifest
variables are continuous in metric scale, for generating pc score as a
means of "data reduction", the assumption could be relaxed. Natural
ordering, however, is warranted.

Besides the two methods mentioned earlier, "classification of
individuals by attributes" ( if viewed as "clustering of individuals")
may be done with other statistical methods – potentially. One such
method is implemented in STATA as "cluster analysis commands." [This
para for info only; considering the distribution of 4 variables
mentioned, this may not be a good choice; this method is more suitable
with several manifest variables, specially when little theory is known
about the underlying common variables for the clustering effects]

Best wishes,

Saifuddin

Saifuddin Ahmed, MD, PhD
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health