st: Simple recoding

Subject   st: Simple recoding
Date   Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:23:21 +0100

Hello statalisters,

I have a variable in my datasheet, sex which is formatted as str1 %9s.
There are two types either M or F.  I need to convert this so that M=1 and
F=2. How do I do this, or where is a problem similar to this described.  I
have tried using "destring sex, replace" etc but have had no luck.
Thanks for all your help in advance on this relatively simple question.

Christopher D Fergusson