st: syntax; option real & varname

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   st: syntax; option real & varname
Date   Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:41:55 -0400

Hi everyone.

I want to use -syntax- with an option, call it x1, which is to be allowed to be either a real number or a numeric variable. Thus, I want to combine these two forms into one:

syntax, x1(real)

syntax, x1(varname numeric)

Is there an easy way to do this? I already have a solution, but I wonder if someone can point out a better way. Here is my solution (the main syntax also has a newvarname feature):

syntax newvarname (numeric) , x1(passthru)

local newvar "`varlist'"
/* I captured `varlist', because I will now do several other -syntax- commands (which will wipe out `varlist').

local 0 ", `x1'"
capture syntax , x1(real)
if _rc {
syntax , x1(varname numeric)

Thanks to anyone who has a better suggestion .
-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University