Re: st: RE: Parsing of multiple -if- lines

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Parsing of multiple -if- lines
Date   Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:00:11 -0400

At 12:33 PM 8/13/2002 -0400, Nick Winter wrote:

When the -else- clause is removed, then the program crashes only when
the second token is set to an asterisk, suggesting that it is the
comments in there that are somehow confusing things?
I'm not totally clear about this, but I think that Stata expects a loaded program to have no commented-out text. That is, any commented-out text it finds at load time is stripped out; once loaded, a program has no comments. (Do -program list-; you will see: no more comments.) But now you are introducing a new twist: parts of the program become commented-out at run time. Perhaps the comment-skipping feature does not operate (at least, not completely) while running a program, as it is presumed to have already gone through that step at load time.

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University
[email protected]