st: outreg -> table - a suggestion

From   [email protected]
Subject   st: outreg -> table - a suggestion
Date   Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:46:46 -0400

What I do with outreg output files is the following: the first time, just double
click on it - windows (if you are using windows) will ask you which program you
want to open the file with. Select Excel (if you are using excel) and select
"always use this program".  Excel will translate the tab delimited file into a
non formatted spreadsheet.

What I have is a very simple excel file that I use as a shell - the file is
empty but formatted (say, the first column and first two rows are bold, all the
cells are justified - centered - etc., nothing to write home about, but I can
send the file upon request). I then copy the contents of the whole .out file
spreadsheet, and "Paste it special" as values only. You get a nice, formatted
regression table in a minute. This is not the last formatting I do, but for a
quick presentation it's usually fine. For Latex or word, I just copy the table
and paste it special as image.

Next time you double click on a .out file, it will be opened by excel. If we
have an excel wizard among us, it would be nice to have the .out opened and
formatted with the standard shell just by double clicking on it.

Hope this helps

Guillermo Cruces