Re: st: Keep string data

From   Ronan Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: Keep string data
Date   Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:42:13 +0100

on 9/8/02 12:00 PM, at wrote:

> The
> variable name is siteterm and is stored at string10 type. When I am
> analysisng the data I need to keep and drop certain cancer sites
> however I am having trouble doing this. I have no problem dropping
> variables that are stored as int and byte types for example
> keep if year==1996
> but when I try to do the following
> keep if siteterm==lung
> I have the error "lung not found; r(111)" returned.

You're going to kick yourself. And I know this for a fact, because I once
spent 2 days going crazy over exactly the same problem in another stats

Stata things that the expression `siteterm==lung' is asking it to test if
the variable siteterm has the same value as the variable lung.

To make it clear to Stata that the argument is a string, enclose it in
double quotes.

. keep if siteterm=="lung"

Note that this will not find "Lung" or "lung ", so tabulate your data to
make sure that site is always spelled the way you think it is.

Ronan M Conroy (
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2329)

And now, Mr President, how about the global alliance against climate change?