st: Re: merging on group characteristics

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: merging on group characteristics
Date   Thu, 08 Aug 2002 07:08:50 -0500

--On Thursday, August 8, 2002 2:33 -0400 Bob wrote:

I have a pooled cross-sectional data set with thousands of
individual-level observations including a variable that indicates each
individual's state of residence (RES) for the particular year of that
observation.  For each of those years I also have a two-variable data
set.  One variable, with fifty observations, is a list of the states
(STATE).  The other (AGG), with fifty observations, provides aggregate
data for those states.  Is there a way to generate a new variable which,
appropriate to the year, assigns each individual the aggregate datum
based on the individual's residence?  That is, is there a way short of
the obvious brute-force method?  Thanks.
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/characteristics.html

Kit