Re: st: boxplot

From   Ronan Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: boxplot
Date   Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:38:38 +0100

on 6/8/02 11:14 AM, Olivia Keiser at wrote:

> Is it possible to omit the extreme values in the boxplot?
> I've found the option 'symbol(i)' where the outliers are not plotted but
> the axis scale still remains large (and with yscale I can't make it smaller).
> If I include the 'if', the graph looks nicer, but all the extreme values
> are not included to calculate the boxplots.

You could use an -if- condition to exclude them. Stata will not resize a
graph so that it is smaller than the data space.

However, one of the important points of a boxplot is precisely that it does
show outliers. I would at least add a note that outliers at (specify values)
not shown, as people will automatically think that if there are no outliers
visible, then there aren't any.

Ronan M Conroy (
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2329)

And now, Mr President, how about the global alliance against climate change?