st: RE: Comparison of Dependent Proportions

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Comparison of Dependent Proportions
Date   Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:41:57 +0100

Stephen Soldz

> I'm trying to compare proportions in the same sample (e.g, rates of
> agreement for 2 the same attitude statement for 2 different
> drugs).  As I
> have a student survey, I need to use the robust variance
> estimator to adjust
> for the within-classroom design effect.  What I want is an
> analog of the
> paired t-test for binary data, with robust variance
> estimator.  I thought I
> could use svylc or svytest, but the only way I can do is
> after svymean,
> resulting in an assumption of normality.  Any ideas?

The following references may help:

Scott, A.J. and Seber, G.A.F. 1983. Difference of proportions
from the same survey. American Statistician 37: 319-320.

Wild, C.J. and Seber, G.A.F. 1993. Comparing two proportions
from the same survey. American Statistician 47: 178-181
(correction 48: 269).

Wild, C.J. and Seber, G.A.F. 2000. Chance encounters:
a first course in data analysis and inference. New York:
John Wiley. Ch. 8.5.2.