st: RE: [problem getting -ivprob-, -ivtobit- to work ]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: [problem getting -ivprob-, -ivtobit- to work ]
Date   Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:20:30 +0100

I replied to Kee-Lee Lee

> Kee-Lee Lee
>
> > I am trying to use 'IVPROB/IVTOBIT" procedures for my
> > research. I have downloaded and copied the relevant
> > files (ado and help files) into my ado sub-directory.
> > Even though I managed to open IVPROB help file in my
> > stata program (intercooled stata 6.0), it seems to me
> > that the IVPROB procedure does not work in my stata
> > (the error message that I got was: "unrecognized
> > command: ivprob not defined by ivprob.ado").

> Kit Baum answered a virtually identical question
> on Statalist on 26 July. Here is the burden of his
> response, edited slightly:
>
> It sounds as if you used a web browser to download the files.
> If so, you have probably introduced some line
> wrapping. As a general rule you should _always_ let Stata
> do this for you to
> avoid trouble.

[ recommendation of -ssc- ]

This was not quite the best advice for Kee-Lee, who
did declare use of Stata 6. The -archutil- package
is pertinent, however, as explained in the first
URL below.