st: Re: STB archive maintenance

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: STB archive maintenance
Date   Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:58:29 -0400

--On Friday, July 26, 2002 2:33 -0400 Nick wrote:

At root, the STB/SJ stock of programs is an _archive_ and
if the authors do not maintain programs, then, first,
Stata Corp never undertook to do that; and the only other
possibility is that someone else takes on a version of that
program. (There have been exceptions to this, as when the
Becketti time series library was revised retrospectively,
but on the whole I disagree with my friend Kit Baum
that Stata Corp should necessarily pick this up.)
To clarify, I was not proposing that StataCorp should take any responsibility for the workings of these materials--only that in this specific case they undertake to update the archive description of -hpfilter- to indicate that a more reliable version is available (assuming that Patrick is willing to provide one). Only StataCorp can do that (as they did for tslib2). I was not suggesting that they write nor maintain any code for this user contribution in the STB.

I would agree with my friend Nick that I would rather have StataCorp expend their developers' energies on moving forward and integrating features judged useful by the user community into the officially supported Stata codebase--which appears to be their business model in any event (to their credit, in both senses of the word).

Kit
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/