st: Linked datasets

From   <>
Subject   st: Linked datasets
Date   Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:23:41 +0000

Please forgive me if this is a simple question but I am relatively new to STATA.

Is it possible in STATA to have several datasets that automatically feed and update another one.  I.e If i were to have the populations of all the towns in a certain county in seperate datasets, would it be possible to feed this data into a county dataset which would automatically update itself if I were to change the population of one of the towns.

Also I am embarking upon writing several do-files and with only a basic C++ programming experience would like to know if there is a command that allows me to enter variables into a running do-file.  For example in a certain do-file, i can run it for males or females.  What would i do to have stata prompt me with the question 'which sex would you like to use' and then my response being recognised as the answer.

Freeserve AnyTime, only 13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit or call free on 0800 970 8890