Re: st: calculating group means

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: calculating group means
Date   Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:39:53 -0400

At 04:40 PM 7/25/2002 -0400, Gayatri Koolwal. wrote:
I have a data set of individuals who belong to different households, each with a value of a variable x2. For each household, I would like to create a new variable that is the mean of x2 for the individuals in that household. Would anyone be able to help me with the procedure for this? Do I need to collapse the data set first somehow?
As Marcela Perticara indicated, you can use egen ... mean ... by(householdid)

But note that there are two possibilities. If you want to take a household mean and spread it onto your set of individuals (by household), then use egen ... mean ... by(householdid). But if you want to reduce to a set of households (i.e., one observation per household), then -collapse- is more convenient. (You could still use egen ... mean, but you would then want to reduce it to one representative per household.)

I hope this helps.
-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies