Re: st: xtlogit, fe robust?

From   "Anderson, Soren" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit, fe robust?
Date   Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:29:28 -0400

I took a closer look at the -reg-, -xtreg-, -logit-, -clogit- and -xtlogit- commands, and Sam's explanation seems to make sense: the -xt- commands seem to imply cluster() -- which in turn implies robust -- via their action on the groups, i().

Still, the manuals (v7.0) are not explicit about this.  I guess what I'm really after, then, is the more detailed statistical explanation -- i.e. how does -clogit- estimate e(V).

The "methods and formulas" for -reg- and -logit- (and [U] 23.11 obtaining robust variance ...) do a decent job of explaining what the estimated variance-covariance matrix looks like (with and without cluster() and robust).  But not so well for the -xt- command, particularly the fixed-effects logit, which is described under -clogit-.

Soren

I think it is because in non-xt- commands the use of cluster() implies
estimation of robust standard errors. If you check other commands (e.g.,
-reg-) that is what it will say. However, cluster is not a required
option in most non -xt- commands. Hence, it is possible to use robust
without using cluster in most commands. Yet, for -xt- commands, i(),
which is the analog to cluster(), is required, so there is no need for the
robust option. That is my understanding.

Hope this helps.
Sam